For years, Princeton University has successfully relocated structures of historic significance. Most recently, the University moved the 96-year-old former Court Club, a brick Tudor Revival building serving as one of the University’s eating clubs, across Prospect Avenue to a new location over the course of eight days. Now, the Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) and Princeton Battlefield State Park are looking to carry out plans in a negotiated agreement to find a buyer to move the Atle Selberg residence, a mid-century modern house designed by Wynant D. Vanderpool (1914–1986) from state park land.
Vanderpool designed the home for noted Norwegian mathematician Atle Selberg and his wife Hedvig in 1952. The Usonian School residence, located at 35 Stone House Drive within the IAS neighborhood, is a single-story, flat-roofed dwelling constructed of stone and other natural materials. It has cantilevered overhangs for passive solar heating and natural cooling. Professor Selberg worked at the Institute and lived in the house from 1952 until his passing in 2007.
Vanderpool received a bachelor of arts and master of fine arts in architecture from Princeton University. Before he established his own firm in 1947, he worked for notable firms such as Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. In 1964, he joined architect Avery Faulkner’s Washington, DC firm. They worked in partnership from 1967–1982 designing notable restorations including St. John’s Episcopal Church in Lafayette Square and the Victorian Hall of the National Portrait Gallery. Vanderpool was also president of the Foundation for the Preservation of Historic Georgetown.
Callaway Henderson Sotheby’s International Realty agents David Schure and Grant Wagner have launched a campaign to find buyers that value the Selberg residence and have the ability to relocate the home. Only the structure is being offered. The successful buyer must move the home from its current location in Princeton, NJ.